Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Golden Age Shtetl by Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern

This book's full title is The Golden Age Shtetl; A new History of Jewish Life in East Europe. I had long heard about the Jewish Pale in East Europe, but I did not know that much about the area and history. So, when I saw this book, I just had to read it.

There are a few good reviews on this book at the bottom of the page on Amazon. Jonathan Rosenjuly of the New York Times posted a good review in 2014. There is some interesting and some critical reviews at Good Reads. Personally, I feel that all history is interesting and important. How would you understand the world today, without the history of yesterday?

Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern talks at Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies. He starts over 3 minutes in the video and it is also some 6 minutes in before he speaks English. He starts talking about this book about 7 minutes into this video. Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern speaks at Cambridge.

Also, an index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment