Friday, May 6, 2016

The Geography of Genius by Eric Weiner

This book's full title is The Geography of Genius: A Search for the World's Most Creative Places, from Ancient Athens to Silicon Valley. Eric Weiner has his own web site here. The Genius Nuggets tab is interesting.

One thing I found interesting was that ideas embed themselves in the fiber of merchandise. Authoritarian regimes feel that they can open their economies but not their politics, but eventually subversive ideas that imbedded themselves in a can to tomato soup or a pair of crocs squirm free.

Ashlee Vancejan provides a good review at NY Times. The book is an interesting romp though some places and time. There are some good reviews on Good Reads. I disagree with the review that wanted to chop out one quarter of the book because he thought it was trivial stuff. I found Eric Weiner an engaging writer and this "trivial" made this book the great read I thought it was. I liked Susannah Nesmith review in the Miami Herald the best. She clearly describes what you will get if you read this book.

Eric Weiner talks at Google. Eric Weiner speaks at Idea City. He talks about happiness and genius. Jeffrey McMahon reviews this book on YouTube. I started here with part 1.

An index of the books I have reviewed are on my website at Books. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk . The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment